Thursday, June 2, 2011

The Tiny Letters and Tiny Box

As I said, I soon realized I had to make all the letter in one go otherwise I couldn't remember how I had done them. Ah duh.. so, as they say, I pressed on. Got all the letters done, then had to figure out how to display them. For some reason I wanted them on one sheet of paper, which I knew could be cut and folded, so after some experimentation came up with a plan. Ops, forgot a letter [in my next life I am going to be able to spell, PLEASE], finally printed on heavy paper and folded. Another problem, the white of the paper shows at the folds, no problem paint it; white paper shows up on all the cut edges, no problem paint the edges. By this time I figured I needed another solution. Print on coloured paper. That works, but by now I realize the letters are the wrong size. They need to be 5 cm. and me, not reading the directions thoroughly, have made them 5 in. Re print, all is good. Now I want to make a box for these tiny letter to live in. Wrestle with that as I realize a 5.5 cm box is seriously tiny and I have large hands. and so I attached tiny covers to the tiny letters to make a tiny book that may or may not live inside a tiny portfolio. 


Well I finally got my fingers back, meaning the glue I used to build the tiny box has worn off. John says he sandpapers the glue off his fingers [he builds model boats] but that seemed a bit drastic to me. So now the tiny alphabet has a cover and I think I stop here. I feel like I am working in dollhouse size and I am the giant, but there are some things that I don't feel are quite resolved. I would like a simpler solution, and what I find the most pleasing is the folded paper with the letters, so it's back to the studio. Maybe each letter wants to be a cube, that is the latest plan. Could change, it often does. Besides there is another alphabet to create.


6 comments:

  1. Despite all the problems this has worked wonderfully well. I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I loved your description of the assembly process, I have had similar woes as it took me longer (and more angst) to figure out the presentation than to paint the letters--hah-it is all a good learning adventure and your alphabet is lovely! Worth all the effort.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it too Liz ... more books in boxes!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just gorgeous Liz - and so perfectly resolved (even after all the hiccoughs!). Like Jane I also love the description of the process - it always helps to know what hard work/heart-ache went into the making of a handmade piece I think.

    ReplyDelete
  5. it's so nice! letters, colors, book and box are magnificent. The result is worth your efforts.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Jo, thank so much.

    Hi jgr, so glad to hear of others' woes, began to think I would have no back teeth left, but really learned a lot, next letters are going to be much BIGGER!, I can always photoshop them smaller.

    Hi Gemma, thanks, the more books in boxes the better, in fact more books the better.

    Hi Fiona, Thank- you and hopefully the next one will be a little less stressful, will read over the direction more carefully this time.

    Hi Lau, Thank you so much.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment on our work - we really appreciate it!